Wednesday, November 01, 2006

All Saints Day

Happy All Saints day!

What is a saint?

According to the ESV online, the term 'saint' (hagios in Greek) is used 83 times throughout the bible. It is a term I think that is used to define the covenant people of Israel's God, cf. Psalm 16:3; 30:4. It is closely associated with other terms to describe the (faithful) covenant people of Israel, such as the righteous (Tzadik - צדיק; plural: Tzadikkim), the holy ones (cf. Psalm 89:5; Deuteronomy 33:3), the elect (Titus 1:1), and generally Israel. It is a key term used to define the covenant people of God, as opposed to those who are outside the covenant, and even renegade Israelites within the covenant. To be a true Israelite is to be a saint, to be part of the righteous, to be one of the holy ones of God (cf. Daniel 7). This is carried across in the New Testament when Israel is reconstituted in and around Jesus (cf. Matthew, Mark, Luke or John. Jesus and the Victory of God, NT Wright). In the New Covenant, to be apart of the renewed Israel - to be 'in Christ' - is to be a saint cf. Romans 1:7.

How does the Bible talk about the Saints? (Here a stack of quotes).

2 Chronicles 6:41 (Show me 2 Chronicles 6)

“And now arise, O Lord God, and go to your resting place, you and the ark of your might. Let your priests, O Lord God, be clothed with salvation, and let your saints rejoice in your goodness.

Psalm 16:3 (Show me Psalm 16)
As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.[1]
[1]Or To the saints in the land, the excellent in whom is all my delight, I say:

Psalm 30:4 (Show me Psalm 30)
Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name.[1]
[1]Hebrew to the memorial of his holiness (see Exodus 3:15)

Psalm 31:23 (Show me Psalm 31)
Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.

Psalm 34:9 (Show me Psalm 34)
Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack!

Psalm 37:1 (Show me Psalm 37)
He Will Not Forsake His Saints
[1]Of David. Fret not yourself because of evildoers; be not envious of wrongdoers!

Psalm 37:28 (Show me Psalm 37)
For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his saints. They are preserved forever, but the children of the wicked shall be cut off.

Psalm 85:8 (Show me Psalm 85)
Let me hear what God the Lord will speak, for he will speak peace to his people, to his saints; but let them not turn back to folly.

Psalm 97:10 (Show me Psalm 97)
O you who love the Lord, hate evil! He preserves the lives of his saints; he delivers them from the hand of the wicked.

Psalm 116:15 (Show me Psalm 116)
Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

Psalm 132:9 (Show me Psalm 132)
Let your priests be clothed with righteousness, and let your saints shout for joy.

Psalm 132:16 (Show me Psalm 132)
Her priests I will clothe with salvation, and her saints will shout for joy.

Psalm 145:10 (Show me Psalm 145)
All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord, and all your saints shall bless you!

Psalm 148:14 (Show me Psalm 148)
He has raised up a horn for his people, praise for all his saints, for the people of Israel who are near to him. Praise the Lord!

Proverbs 2:8 (Show me Proverbs 2)
guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints.

Daniel 7:18 (Show me Daniel 7)
But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kingdom forever,foreverr and ever.Â’

Daniel 7:21 (Show me Daniel 7)
As I looked, this horn made war with the saints and prevailed over them,

Daniel 7:22 (Show me Daniel 7)
until the Ancient of Days came, and judgment was given for the saints of the Most High, and the time came when the saints possessed the kingdom.

Daniel 7:25 (Show me Daniel 7)
He shall speak words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the Most High, and shall think to change the times and the law; and they shall be given into his hand for a time, times, and half a time.

Daniel 7:27 (Show me Daniel 7)
And the kingdom and the dominion and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High; their kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey them.Â’

Daniel 8:24 (Show me Daniel 8)
His power shall be great—but not by his own power; and he shall cause fearful destruction and shall succeed in what he does, and destroy mighty men and the people who are the saints.

Matthew 27:52 (Show me Matthew 27)
The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised,

Acts 9:13 (Show me Acts 9)
But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much evil he has done to your saints at Jerusalem.

Acts 9:32 (Show me Acts 9)
The Healing of Aeneas
Now as Peter went here and there among them all, he came down also to the saints who lived at Lydda.

Acts 9:41 (Show me Acts 9)
And he gave her his hand and raised her up. Then calling the saints and widows, he presented her alive.

Acts 26:10 (Show me Acts 26)
And I did so in Jerusalem. I not only locked up many of the saints in prison after receiving authority from the chief priests, but when they were put to death I cast my vote against them.

Romans 1:7 (Show me Romans 1)
To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Romans 8:27 (Show me Romans 8)
And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because[1] the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
[1]Or that

Romans 12:13 (Show me Romans 12)
Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

Romans 15:25 (Show me Romans 15)
At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem bringing aid to the saints.

Romans 15:26 (Show me Romans 15)
For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make some contribution for the poor among the saints at Jerusalem.

Romans 15:31 (Show me Romans 15)
that I may be delivered from the unbelievers in Judea, and that my service for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints,

Romans 16:2 (Show me Romans 16)
that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well.

Romans 16:15 (Show me Romans 16)
Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them.

1 Corinthians 1:2 (Show me 1 Corinthians 1)
To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints together with all those who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:

1 Corinthians 6:1 (Show me 1 Corinthians 6)
Lawsuits Against Believers
When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints?

1 Corinthians 6:2 (Show me 1 Corinthians 6)
Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases?

1 Corinthians 14:33 (Show me 1 Corinthians 14)
For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints,

1 Corinthians 16:1 (Show me 1 Corinthians 16)
The Collection for the Saints
Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do.

1 Corinthians 16:15 (Show me 1 Corinthians 16)
Now I urge you, brothers[1]—you know that the household[2] of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and that they have devoted themselves to the service of the saints—
[1]Or brothers and sisters; also verse 20 [2]Greek house

2 Corinthians 1:1 (Show me 2 Corinthians 1)
Greeting
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the church of God that is at Corinth, with all the saints who are in the whole of Achaia:

2 Corinthians 8:4 (Show me 2 Corinthians 8)
begging us earnestly for the favor of taking part in the relief of the saints—

2 Corinthians 9:1 (Show me 2 Corinthians 9)
The Collection for Christians in Jerusalem
Now it is superfluous for me to write to you about the ministry for the saints,

2 Corinthians 9:12 (Show me 2 Corinthians 9)
For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God.

2 Corinthians 13:13 (Show me 2 Corinthians 13)
All the saints greet you.

Ephesians 1:1 (Show me Ephesians 1)
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus, and are faithful[1] in Christ Jesus:
[1]Some manuscripts saints who are also faithful

Ephesians 1:15 (Show me Ephesians 1)
For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints,

Ephesians 1:18 (Show me Ephesians 1)
having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,

Ephesians 2:19 (Show me Ephesians 2)
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens,[1] but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,
[1]Or sojourners

Ephesians 3:8 (Show me Ephesians 3)
To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ,

Ephesians 3:18 (Show me Ephesians 3)
may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,

Ephesians 4:12 (Show me Ephesians 4)
to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ,

Ephesians 5:3 (Show me Ephesians 5)
But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.

Ephesians 6:18 (Show me Ephesians 6)
praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Philippians 1:1 (Show me Philippians 1)
Greeting
Paul and Timothy, servants[1] of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers[2] and deacons:[3]
[1]Or slaves; Greek bondservants [2]Or bishops; Greek episkopoi [3]Or servants, or ministers; Greek diakonoi

Philippians 4:21 (Show me Philippians 4)
Final Greetings
Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me greet you.

Philippians 4:22 (Show me Philippians 4)
All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar's household.

Colossians 1:2 (Show me Colossians 1)
To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father.

Colossians 1:4 (Show me Colossians 1)
since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love that you have for all the saints,

Colossians 1:12 (Show me Colossians 1)
giving thanks[1] to the Father, who has qualified you[2] to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.
[1]Or patience, with joy giving thanks [2]Some manuscripts us

Colossians 1:26 (Show me Colossians 1)
the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints.

1 Thessalonians 3:13 (Show me 1 Thessalonians 3)
so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.

2 Thessalonians 1:10 (Show me 2 Thessalonians 1)
when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed.

1 Timothy 5:10 (Show me 1 Timothy 5)
and having a reputation for good works: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every good work.

Philemon 1:5 (Show me Philemon 1)
because I hear of your love and of the faith that you have toward the Lord Jesus and all the saints,

Philemon 1:7 (Show me Philemon 1)
For I have derived much joy and comfort from your love, my brother, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you.

Hebrews 6:10 (Show me Hebrews 6)
For God is not so unjust as to overlook your work and the love that you showed for his sake in serving the saints, as you still do.

Hebrews 13:24 (Show me Hebrews 13)
Greet all your leaders and all the saints. Those who come from Italy send you greetings.

Jude 1:3 (Show me Jude 1)
Judgment on False Teachers
Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.

Revelation 5:8 (Show me Revelation 5)
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Revelation 8:3 (Show me Revelation 8)
And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer, and he was given much incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne,

Revelation 8:4 (Show me Revelation 8)
and the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel.

Revelation 11:18 (Show me Revelation 11)
The nations raged, but your wrath came, and the time for the dead to be judged, and for rewarding your servants,[1] the prophets and saints, and those who fear your name, both small and great, and for destroying the destroyers of the earth.
[1]Greek bondservants

Revelation 13:7 (Show me Revelation 13)
Also it was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. And authority was given it over every tribe and people and language and nation,

Revelation 13:10 (Show me Revelation 13)
If anyone is to be taken capcaptive, to captivity he goes; if anyone is to be slain with the sword, with the sword must he be slain. Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.

Revelation 14:12 (Show me Revelation 14)
Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.[1]
[1]Greek and the faith of Jesus

Revelation 16:6 (Show me Revelation 16)
For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and you have given them blood to drink. It is what they deserve!

Revelation 17:6 (Show me Revelation 17)
And I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints, the blood of the martyrs of Jesus.[1]
[1]Greek the witnesses to Jesus When I saw her, I marveled greatly.

Revelation 18:20 (Show me Revelation 18)
Rejoice over her, O heaven, and you saints and apostles and prophets, for God has given judgment for you against her!

Revelation 18:24 (Show me Revelation 18)
And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of all who have been slain on earth.”

Revelation 19:8 (Show me Revelation 19)
it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.

Revelation 20:9 (Show me Revelation 20)
And they marched up over the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, but fire came down from heaven[1] and consumed them,
[1]Some manuscripts from God, out of heaven, or out of heaven from God

Revelation 22:21 (Show me Revelation 22)
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all.[1] Amen.
[1]Some manuscripts all the saints

(NOTE: These are not just proof texts, the context surrounding them will yield much as to what these verses are saying).

From all these reference, I think one of the most interesting is Daniel 7:
Daniel 7:18
But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom and possess the kinforeverrever, forever and ever.
Daniel 7:21

As I looked, this horn made war with the saints and prevailed over them,
Daniel 7:22
until the Ancient of Days came, and judgment was given for the saints of the Most High, and the time came when the saints possessed the kingdom.
Daniel 7:25
He shall speak words against the Most High, and shall wear out the saints of the Most High, and shall think to change the times and the law; and they shall be given into his hand for a time, times, and half a time.
Daniel 7:27
And the kingdom and the dominion and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High; their kingdom shall be an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey them.

Integral to the story of Israelite is the Isralite belief that YHWH had called Israel to be the solution to the problem of sin. Somehow, through the descendants of Abraham, God would act to bless the nations, rescue his world from sin, evil and death, and renew all of Creation. And this was to be in and through Israel - through the saints. So in a sense, Israel viewed herself to be the 'New Adam' and the true humanity - to be human was to be an Israelite (a worshipper of YHWH in covenant with him). cf. Psalm 8.

History however, showed that Israel, despite being the solution to the problem of evil, was part of the problem as well. Yet God, in being himself faithful to the covenant, would still act in and through Israel to fulfill his purposes. This is particuarly seen in Daniel, noticeably within a framework of how to be a faithful Israelite in term of national and spiritual exile.

In Daniel 7 we see Israel's enemies, the pagan, beastly (un-human) nations raging against the LORD. Yet these beasts areconvincinglyquite convcingly by the 'Ancient of Days', who accepts into his presence 'one like a son of man'. Of this figure (now remember Psalm 8, and Israel as the New Adam) it is said: "And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed." (I wonder if Paul had this in mind when he wrote 1 Corinthians 6?) And who is this 'son of man figure'? The messiah? Well, verse 18 tells us that the son of man is the one who receives the kingdom and posess it forever and ever. And this is the 'saints of the most high'! In otherwords, Israel is the Son of Man. The saints are the Son of Man.

I could develop this further, but you'll just have to read a certain book I mentioned a few paragraphs ago. Suffice it to say that Jesus in his word and deed - his action in calling the lost tribes of Israel - reconstituted Israel around himself, so that what is true of Israel is not only fulfilled in Jesus, but also finds its truest expression in him and climaxes in him. So Jesus then is the Son of the Man. He is the faithful remnant to YHWH and so he is the saints of the most high.

To devfurtherat step furhtexegeticalufootworkgeticl footworke that I should show right now, sorry), by being united with Christ by faith - to be in him (cf. Ephesians 1 and 2), our identity is as the people of God is bound up with Christ. Therefore, we are also the saints of the Most High.

So here is some of what the New Testament says about the saints. Romans 1:7 - the Christians in Rome are said to be loved by God and called to be his saints. Romans 8:27 - the Spirit intercedes for the Saints, according to the will of God! Romans 12:13 - the Romans are to be hospitable towards other saints (remember that they too are saints) and help them in their needs (perhaps principally here, financially or materially). 1 Corinthians 6:2 - in reminding the Corinthians that they already are kings, Paul says that the saints will judge the world! 2 Corinthians 9:12 - Paul's ministry has been one of service tothanksgivingand thanskgiving to God. Ephesians 1:18 - in Paul's opening prayer he reminds the Ephesians that Christ's inheritance is IN the saints! Colossians 1:26 - God's mystery of renewing the world by incorporating the gentiles into Israel tJeworm a single jew + gentile family has been revealed to the saints. 1 Thessalonians 3:13 Jesus will return, with his saints. Jude 1:3- 'the faith' i.e. the apostolic testimony, has been delivered once for all to the saints. Revelation 5:8 - the prayers of the saints are like golden bowls full of incense. And Revelation 19:8 - the righteous deeds of the saints clothes the church like fine linen.

This is who and what it means to be a saint. Jesus, and us in him, is the saint of the Most High, the faithful covenant people of God who will rule and exercise dominion over the restored creation in the name of God. So be a faithful and obedient saint, loved by God, who's deeds adorn the church and through whom, by the power of the Holy Spirit, God is at work to bring all things under the Lordship of Christ, the true saint of the Most High.

Happy All Saints Day.

Before then, I'll give you ten points if you can tell me which Cathedral the statues (of saints to the left) comes from.

4 comments:

byron smith said...

So should we go trick-or-treating or not?

Matthew Moffitt said...

rI wouldn't, because I have a large hole in one of my teeth (due to unfished root canal), and it's a bit too American for my liking.

What is halloween celebrating anyway? Is it the cult of saints that Wright is horrified about in the above post?

Anonymous said...

Notre Dame?

Anonymous said...

somewhere in France?