Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Resurrection and Science

"By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it..." Rev. 21.24
I studied an Arts degree at Sydney Uni. To be more precise, I majored in Ancient and Modern History. So, as I'm back at uni now serving alongside the postgrad/staff faculty of the SUEU, I don't pretend to know much of what the science guys I meet with are saying when they start talking physics. An I'm often annoyed and frustrated by the arrogant, modernist faith placed in scientific knowledge and achievement. It's a mean metanarrative right?

However, a fascinating thought was explained for me tonight as a talked to a friend. Is the resurrection's affirmation of creation (c.f. Oliver O'Donovan's Resurrection and Moral Order) also an affirmation of scientific inquiry into creation? My friend has written a 2000 word paper on this topic, which I'm yet to read, but if anyone else has thought more seriously about this than I have, I'd love to hear what you think. Especially if there are any scientists out there.

3 comments:

byron smith said...

There is a big difference between science and scientism. The latter is a belief/claim that all of reality can and must be explained scientifically.

Chris Swann said...

I suspect this will be pretty tricky to untangle, Matt.

Opinion seems to be pretty evenly divided on whether modern science is a child of Reformation faith or Enlightenment scepticism.

O'Donovan himself reckons neither -- in On The Thirty Nine Articles he suggests that it was the Reformers' failure to develop a biblical account of creation, or indeed anything much of an account of creation at all, that opened up the space within which modern science unfolded.

Anna M Blanch said...

Richar Cahart and Adam Cenian have written some helpful and quite clearly written material looking at the Science/Scientism issue and the assumptions inherent. I'm not a Scientist so they stretched me a fair way but I recommend them to you.