Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Why My Vote Is Still Up For Grabs: V/V

Maybe a more accurate title for this series would be 'My Electoral Angst'. What I've learnt from this is political theology is more complicated than I've been reducing it to in these recent posts (and thanks for the comments that have reminded me of this). I'm no where near clearer after this series about how I will vote for, but I think that voicing my angst has been really helpful for me - so thanks for putting up with that.

On reflection, I'm feeling OK about still not knowing who to vote for.Voting is not the sum total of my political involvement either as a citizen of a western liberal democracy or of the Kingdom of God.

However, voting is an important of my political life as a citizen of Australia. So let me share with you these wise words from Anglicare Sydney:
"The challenges being faced by the most marginalised people in Australia are absent from the policy announcements of the major parties. Anyone who cares about the plight of those at the edges of our society should be concerned about this. If you call Jesus Lord, then you in particular should share this concern...Make your vote count for more than your own interests. In Australia, we all have the opportunity to vote. But let’s make sure we also live in a nation where everybody counts."
Today Anglicare Sydney launched the 2010 State of Sydney Report:
"[T]he 2010 State of Sydney Report that is likely to be quite unpopular. Unpopular because it is being released at a time when the nation’s eyes are focused on an election campaign that is racing to capture the safe middle ground. But a failure to talk about important issues does not make them go away. The State of Sydney Report finds that single parents, Indigenous Australians, those with a disability and people in public housing still experience significant social exclusion in Sydney."
Let me finish with a story. A few years ago at uni the campus was in the midst of campaigning for the union elections. This is always a heated affair, with chalking, posters, leaflets, t-shirts, lecture shouts; it dominates campus life for a few weeks. Some of my friends suggested that one way to respond to all the hype around the election would be to put up posters campaigning for Jesus: 'Vote one Jesus'. They didn't do it, and I'm just as glad now and I was then that they didn't. Jesus doesn't need to stand for election, he's been raised to the dead and sits at the right hand of his Father. He doesn't need to campaign, he's shares in the rule of the entire cosmos.
"Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, 'The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.'” - Revelation 11.15

5 comments:

byron smith said...

Another way of saying this is that Jesus has already been elected by his Father from before the foundation of the world.

byron smith said...

PS Good quote from Anglicare.

Matthew Moffitt said...

Yes! Thanks KB.

byron smith said...

Or perhaps just 1 Peter 1.20...

Matthew Moffitt said...

Obscured in the ESV...I'm glad KB got it from somewhere :p