Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Help! AnCon...

"...[H]istory isn't enough by itself. Back to Reformation theologian Philip Melanchthon: It isn't enough to know that Jesus is the Savior; I must know that he is the Savior for me. History cannot tell me that. But it can reconstruct the framework within which it makes sense—the biblical framework that Jesus and his followers took for granted. If Jesus didn't really exist, or was really a revolutionary Zealot, or a proto-Buddhist mystic, or an Egyptian freemason, the "for me" floats like a detached helium balloon on the thin, vulnerable air of subjectivism. It is when we put Jesus in his proper historical context that the Resurrection proposes that he was the Messiah, that the Messiah is Lord of the world, and that he died and was raised for me. History is challenging, but also reassuring." - Tom Wright, Christianity Today.
So...for AnCon I'm running an hour long seminar on the historicity or reliability of the New Testament. It's also meant to be interactive. I'd like it to be helpful for apologetics, particularly with the EU running a campus wide mission in second semester.

I'm working on the biblical material at the moment...but are there any passages you think are particularly relevant. And do you have any hot tips or ideas on this topic. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

Mike Bull said...

Don't leave out AD70.

ryansmartt said...

I like Dickson's illustration in The Christ Files of the two rugby players passing the ball. When compared to other major world religions, the gospels are by far the easiest pass to make.

Toby said...

Some passes are really short. We were at the table when one of those Oxford rugby players (Ed) received the ball. :-)