Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Want it All! Part 1

I want it all! The fame and the fortune and more. I want the world nothing less, all the glam and the press, only giving you the best reviews. Sing it! I want it all! - High School Musical 3
Being the best I can be. I want to reach my full potential. Maturity. These are human desires that are found everywhere, in business, in sport, in relationships. And it’s not surprising really, as the bible itself talks about maturity and fulfilling ones ‘divinely ordained’ purposes.

The problem is that, even in Christian circles, we have some funny ideas about maturity. We want to be mature, and have a closer connection to God. And although we might admit that maturity is a life long process, we will nevertheless measure a person’s maturity but how many books they read, how many conferences they go on, what time of the day they go to church or how many old hymns they can recite from memory. Because it is such a long process, we are continually coming up with ways to make ourselves mature.

Christians have actually been doing this for years – even the apostolic church had a crisis in maturity. In the churches founded by Paul & co. that were scattered throughout the Roman Empire, Christians we desperately searching out the means of growing closer to God. They were attempting to grow in wisdom and knowledge and receive the full blessing and gift that God would give his people. They wanted it all! 

In my next post I’ll look at how some of these churches try to become more mature. Seeking maturity in and of itself isn't a bad thing. But these churches were trying to do it without Jesus. Which I think must have been really frustrating for Paul. You want it all? You’ve all already got it all in Jesus! As he would tell the Corinthians:

Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! Without us you have become kings! And would that you did reign, so that we might share the rule with you! – 1 Cor 4.8

4 comments:

cardboardsword said...

word.
i'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure... been thinking about stuff like this quite a lot lately.

duncandrews said...

I just love that you know the words to High School Musical 3...

Actually, as an ex-primary school teacher, the whole High School Musical thing (or HSM as the cool kids say) gives me the willies.

Looking forward to the series!

Matthew Moffitt said...

@ Duncan: I've seen all three, and had to watch many of them after bible study. Although I had to use google to get the precise lyrics.

Matthew Moffitt said...

@ Iain: What stuff have you come up with?