Monday, May 11, 2009

The Art of Blogging II

Following up from my previous post about blogging, Christians bloggers (inclduing the wholepanoply of blogs: anyone who posts, comments, etc.) need to act in accordance with the reality of Jesus' lordship. In other words, the fact that Jesus is King should affect the way we blog. So, for example, anonymous comments really are just not on because as a Christian I need to take responsibility for my actions - including what I say on the internet.

Tom Wright has this to say:
“It really is high time we developed a Christian ethic of blogging. Bad temper is bad temper even in the apparent privacy of your own hard drive, and harsh and unjust words, when released into the wild, rampage around and do real damage. And as for the practice of saying mean an unjust things behind a pseudonym – well if I get a letter like that it goes straight in the bin. But the cyberspace equivalents of road rage don’t happen by accident. People who type vicious, angry, slanderous and inaccurate accusations do so because they feel their worldview to be under attack.” (Wright, N.T., Justification: God’s Plan, Paul’s Vision, SPCK, 2009, p.10). I have read this, but h/t Mark Stevens for inspiring me to blog it.

Is there anything else that we should include in blogging ethics?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous does not imply mean and unjust.

Matthew Moffitt said...

No, it doesn't - although it can.

But that's not my main point.

As Christians we should own our comments and take responsibility for them.

Toby said...

I have seen blogs where a Christian commenter reveals some deep personal situation or experience anonymously in order to give others an insight into that situation. The situations were so personal that they did not want them on permanent public record only a Google search away from their name, so their only other choice was to stay silent. I for one was helped by their willingness to speak. So for me it's clear that there is a place for anonymity.

Matthew Moffitt said...

Mmmm - yes, I think that's right. My comments on anonymity were in the context of critiquing other people. But in the situation you've mentioned Toby, I'd have no problems with.

Although it does raise an interesting point about the place and power of blogs and the internet.