Friday, January 12, 2007

On the tenth, eleventh and twelth day of Christmas

Sorry for the lack of posts. Holidays are a health hazard to blogging.

Anyway, I've been away for a week enjoying God's creation at Jervis Bay and trying to read O'Donovan's Resurrection and Moral Order. I was thinking over a conversation I had with Marty Feltham at last AnCon (EU's Annual Conference). The topic was on God, and Marty and I had just been through a couple of books clubs (Act and Being, Dogmatics in Outline, Climax of the Covenant) that had been trying to get us thinking about God. And over breakfast one morning Marty and I were (rashly) discussing what made God god? I quickly argued that because the gospel is the event of Jesus being Lord, it is the fact that God is king that makes him lord.

But over the past week I was mulling over a couple of ideas that might make me change my mind. What makes God god is because he is love. This is seen particularly in the way the three persons of the trinity relate to each other. It is a love that takes the shape of service.

A friend asked me a few months ago what does it mean to serve Jesus. I said something about living the lordship of Christ and submitting every aspect of our life under his rule. Later, I heard Katay's answer, and was joyfully amazed. To serve Jesus means that Jesus serves you. Brilliant!

I also had the joy to reflect on the way that people near and dear to me serve me (like Alison) serve me. So having thought about all that and then thought about Philippians's 2, I think what makes God god is that he is the sovereign Lord of his creation, but inseparably tied to this is the fact that God loves and serves. I could say more, but I will stop for now and leave you with the words of God himself:

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, because he was God, did not exploit equality with God, but made himself nothing, becoming a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found as a human, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

PS Happy Epiphany

No comments: